Vegan Lemony Herbed Cauliflower RoastNovember 13, 2017
Vegan Coconut Maple Glazed Sweet Potatoes with Toasted WalnutsNovember 13, 2017
Get your greens on this holiday season. This flavorful and nutritious dish is a wonderful way to balance out some of the heavier foods we indulge in during this festive time. This recipe is part of our Complete Vegan Thanksgiving Dinner menu and recipes developed for Natural Grocers.
Serve with Lemony Herbed Cauliflower Roast.
Braised Kale with Shallots and Slivered Almonds
Author: Mark Reinfeld - The Doctor & The Chef
Recipe type: Side
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil
- ¼ cup diced shallot
- 4-5 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 large bunch kale, approximately 6 cups chopped into ½ inch pieces
- ¼ cup vegetable stock or water
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce, try wheat-free tamari
- 1 ½ teaspoons mirin, optional
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup slivered almonds, optionally toasted in a 350°F oven for 10 minutes
- Place a large saute pan over medium high heat. Add the oil. Add the shallots and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the garlic, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently and adding small amounts of water or vegetable stock if necessary to prevent sticking.
- Add the kale, and cook for 5 minutes, or until all of the kale is just tender and still a vibrant green, using tongs to stir and evenly cook.
- Add the vegetable stock, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently with the tongs. If you have a cover for the saute pan, feel free to use it.
- Add the lemon juice, tamari, mirin if using, and crushed red pepper flakes, if using, and stir well. Place on a serving platter and top with almonds before serving.
Sponsored and paid for by Natural Grocers.